The child has the right to be brought up by their parents. If the child cannot grow up with their parents, they have the right to live with their close relatives or at least see them regularly

  • Would you like to live with your mum or dad?
  • Would you like to see someone from your family who lives in a different country?
  • Would you rather live with your relatives than in a children’s home?

Do you have any of these questions?

Then we might help. Every case is different, so we’d like to know more about you and your family.

Contact us and we will write back and tell you what we can do for you.

Marek’s story (age 15)

Marek is 15 years old. He lives with his foster parents because neither his mum nor his dad could take care of him. He hasn’t seen them since he was little. Now, however, Marek has found his mum on Facebook and realised that she is living abroad, in Denmark.[…]

His mum has a place to live and even a temporary job. He would like to see his mum very much and would be happiest if he could live with her again.

Marek is about to complete his primary school and cannot think of anything but being reunited with his mum. He has talked about it with his social worker. But it is not easy for him to find out whether his mum’s conditions would allow Marek to visit her or to live with her.

He contacted Umpod, and we asked the Danish authorities to find out whether his mum was able to take care of him. We also contacted Marek’s foster parents to see what they thought about all this.

We found out that Marek’s mum doesn't have enough money to visit Marek, but there is enough room in her flat for him, and she has enough money to support him. Now everyone is waiting for the court to decide whether Marek can try staying with his mum, first just on holidays. Then, if she is able to support him, he might be able to move to Denmark to live with her.

Obličej - zluty

What is the usual procedure in such cases?

Such cases can be very different from one another, depending on the issue that needs to be addressed:

  • Whether the child had to be removed from their parents, and whether the parents are asking to have them back;
  • Whether the child lives in a children’s home in the Czech Republic or abroad, and whether there is a relative (such as a grandmother) either in the Czech Republic or abroad who would like to take care of the children;
  • Whether the child wishes to see someone from their family or get information about them.

Umpod always works with the authorities in other countries and with the social services in the Czech Republic. The aim is to find out if a move would be beneficial for the child. Together with these other authorities, Umpod then makes a recommendation to the court, which makes the final decision.

Every case is a bit different. If you’re wondering what might happen in your case, the best thing to do is contact us directly